[GTALUG] The FOSS world's most famous incel is back...

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:04:03 EDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021, 11:57 AM Howard Gibson via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 21:46:00 -0400
> Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
> > ... hopefully, not for long.
>
> Evan,
>
>    Some useful and interesting references...
>
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
>    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
>
>    Rational Wiki is interesting, since it is opinionated as all hell.
> Wikipedia is required to maintain a neutral tone.

Thanks for posting this. Rational Wiki had a fact I wasn't aware of
regarding the editing of a Vice article.

"Eventually, discussions between Stallman and the rest of the CSAIL mailing
list would end up getting forwared to another student at MIT, who published
the story on Medium.[38]
<https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-removerms-40> The
story started getting minor traction, until VICE ran an article on it[39]
<https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-removermsvice-41>.
The article, whilst mostly accurate would remove the second sentence from
the emphasized paragraph, which ended up making Stallman look like he was
defending Epstein. This resulted in the story blowing up and most news
outlets, rather than verifying the original emails (which VICE had attached
to their article[40]
<https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-removermsmails-42>)
simply ended up copying VICEs shortening of the headline."

>    Are they trying to disassociate themselves from a criminal, or do they
> just want to not be represented by an asshole?  Stallman has certainly
> demonstrated the importance of public figures STFU when the topic is
> something they don't understand.

Somtimes you have to dig for your knowledge. It may be valid, even though
you don't like the envelope it arrives in.

Generally people make mistakes and errors in judgement all the time. Its
how we correct those errors and mistakes that describes the content of our
character.

Of course that an impossible thing when someone edits your words after the
fact and then the mob runs with that.

> --
> Howard Gibson
> hgibson at eol.ca
> jhowardgibson at gmail.com
> http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson

Russell

“Th’ newspaper does ivrything f’r us. It runs th’ polis foorce an’ th’
banks, commands th’ milishy, controls th’ ligislachure, baptizes th’ young,
marries th’ foolish, comforts th’ afflicted, afflicts th’ comfortable,
buries th’ dead an’ roasts thim aftherward.” F. P. Dunne