[GTALUG] Rocky Linux (CentOS's replacement) goes GA

Scott Sullivan scott at revident.net
Tue Jun 22 08:56:31 EDT 2021

Yesterday, Rocky Linux made their rebuild of RHEL 8.4 Generally
Available.

https://rockylinux.org/news/rocky-linux-8-4-ga-release/

This was following a round of RCs for 8.3 and 8.4.

My colleagues and I have been testing it out on both our personal and
company work loads. And it's working as expected.

For those whom need a quick reminder on the situation. The chain used to
look like this.

Upstream Sources => Fedora (Cherry picked and Forked ever few years) =>
CentOS Stream => RHEL => CentOS

At the start of the Year, RedHat announced that all effort on CentOS (as
a downstream rebuild of RHEL) would cease at the end of 2021. Half a
decade earlier then the community was expecting. And that there would be
no CentOS to go with RHEL 9 when it eventually comes. This left a huge
community of users and developer, whom were never going to become RHEL
customers, without their long term stable distro.

Moving to CentOS Stream is effectively becoming beta testers for what
will become RHEL.

Some of original founders of the CentOS project, established Rocky Linux
to fill the position CentOS used too, just slightly trailing RHEL.
This returns the community to where it was before RedHat stepped in to
support the CentOS project. Support that was eventually betrayed, having
effectively abandoned the CentOS position in the ecosystem and walked
away with the trademarks. This position in the ecosystem is always going
to exist, RedHat abdicating it is ultimately unfortunate for RedHat.

--
Scott Sullivan