[GTALUG] tips on packing computers?

Znoteer znoteer at mailbox.org
Tue Jun 8 10:58:51 EDT 2021

Hi Karen,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 07:43:59PM -0400, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:

[snip]

> First, what is the best sized box for a tower so that there is not too
> much room?

Much depends on who will be moving your stuff, and how they will be moving
it, which may depend on how far they are moving it if you are calling on
professional movers.

Oops, I trimmed too much text.  Just before this first question you said you
will be ordering online.  Did you mean ordering the packing material online,
or reserving a moving company online?

If you meant you will be hiring a professional mover with insurance, ask
them how to pack stuff.  They may require that they pack themselves anything
they move in order for the item to be insured.

I have moved my home many times in my life.  The last time I moved I hired
someone.  I packed anything it would be hard to damage, like clothes,
bedding and books,  and let them handle the more easily damageable items
because of their insurance requirements.

I also organized the move of a company I worked for at one time.  The
details of the agreement were way above my paygrade, so I'm not sure of the
motivations were the same as in my personal move, but it was the same in
terms of what we packed and what we left for the movers to pack.  Everyone
put there own files and pencils and staplers and organizing trays in a box,
but anything electronic got left on the desk for the movers.

So, much detail to ask that you give more details of how this stuf will get
shifted.

> second, I have one older imac that is rather heavy..but important.
> If  this should not be boxed given the weight, how should it be packed,
> or padded?
> what about those monitor slip covers, I have flat screen ones now.

See above :)

If you end up needing to pack yourself, and it's your college buddies and
family coming over to help, let us know, and we can maybe suggest some ways
to keep your stuff safe.

Znoteer the nomad