[GTALUG] easy access to S.M.A.R.T disk status [was: Ubuntu 20.04.2 is groaning]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jun 8 10:01:36 EDT 2021

| From: Chris Aitken via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| So, sudo apt-get install smartmontools ?

Yes, but that is very technical.  If you don't wish to go there, there is
a GUI way.  Not as clear to an experienced user, but friendlier

Run "gnome-disk-utility".  The easiest way is to hit the Windows key,
type "disks", and select the icon "Disks".

Select the drive of interest.
It will show you a picture of the paritioning of that drive.  And some
interesting technical stats.

Click on the three dots in a vertical formation to get a menu of choices.
Pick "SMART data and self tests.

That will show you more statistics than you can make sense of.
The right column of each entry should be "OK".

You can decide to run a drive self test.
"short" takes a few minutes.
"extended" takes hours.
You should still be able to use the computer while a test is going on.

(For some reason that I've never understood, some things I do seem to
abort a self test.  No harm is done but the test is incomplete.)

(gnome-disk-utility is a useful for other disk tasks too.  gparted is
another gem.)