[GTALUG] Ubuntu 20.04.2 is groaning

Chris Aitken chris at chrisaitken.net
Mon Jun 7 13:37:08 EDT 2021

On 2021-06-07 1:11 p.m., Val Kulkov via talk wrote:

> <snip>
>
>     <snip>
>
>     So, sudo apt-get install smartmontools ?
>

> Yes. Then follow some guide on how to check hard disk's health with
> smartctl, for example this one:
> https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/SMART_tests_with_smartctl
> <https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/SMART_tests_with_smartctl>
I installed smartmontools, then tried running the test ...

owner at owner-HP-Compaq-8000-Elite-CMT-PC:~$ sudo smartctl -t
<short|long|conveyance|select> /dev/sda
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `>'

> I still suggest checking or replacing the drive's cable. Hard drive
> read errors, including the ones reported by smartctl, are sometimes
> caused by a faulty cable or a faulty connector.
I don't open the computer anymore. I have a tech who's cheap and
willing. I'll try software options, first, then take it in, if needs be.
Chris

<snip>