[GTALUG] Odd VLC problem

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:24:39 EST 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 02:23, Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Last week, in an attempt to make my desktop more readable to my ageing eyes, I bought a $40 stand and set up my monitors vertically (see 1st pic).
>
> Changing the KDE setup to accommodate this (Kubuntu 20.04 LTS) was easy, and all of my apps seem to work fine with the new setup ... except VLC.
>
> VLC no longer works the way it used to.
>
> Videos will now play only if I decouple the video window from the VLC interface ("Integrate video in interface" must be unchecked). And now if I try to resize the interface, it visually "stutters" (see second photo) and remains stuttered in this form until I resize the window again.
>
> I have tried multiple options for video output with no change in behaviour. Again, the videos display fine but only if I separate the video window from the interface window.  Resizing the video window works fine. Also, videos displayed inside the browser (ie Plex and YouTube) work fine.
>
> All suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Evan.

I apologize for not directly addressing the problem you're asking
about, but I'll offer a couple possible solutions.

If you're not tied to 'vlc', try 'mpv' as a movie player.  I have both
installed and used vlc as my main video program for many years, but
now mostly lean to mpv.  Can't promise it won't have issues with the
layout, but I think it's worth a try.

The "aging eyes" issue is one I'm familiar with: my desktop now has a
43"(!) primary monitor that's flanked by a couple vertical monitors
(those are different computers, and not always on).  Re-arranging the
login screens to be vertical can be a real PITA depending on which
login manager it is, otherwise it works quite well.  If money (and
desk real estate) aren't an issue, I would recommend seeing if you can
find a big-ass monitor in the 40" range - I love that thing.  Your
eyes will thank you.  I was lucky though: it's actually a "monitor"
rather than a repurposed TV, it's 4K, and I managed to get it for
under $600 a couple years ago.  (Looking at current prices of 40"+
monitors, I'm thinking I should be using the phrase "spectacularly
lucky.")  That's not a popular market segment, so such items are thin
on the ground and/or quite expensive.  If you're okay with a TV (I'm
not clear on the disadvantages - distorted colour palettes, high
contrast, limited ports?), those are available at lower prices.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com