[GTALUG] Odd VLC problem

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jan 25 02:22:22 EST 2021

Hi all,

Last week, in an attempt to make my desktop more readable to my ageing
eyes, I bought a $40 stand and set up my monitors vertically (see 1st pic).

Changing the KDE setup to accommodate this (Kubuntu 20.04 LTS) was easy,
and all of my apps seem to work fine with the new setup ... except VLC.

VLC no longer works the way it used to.

Videos will now play only if I decouple the video window from the VLC
interface ("Integrate video in interface" must be unchecked). And now if I
try to resize the interface, it visually "stutters" (see second photo) and
remains stuttered in this form until I resize the window again.

I have tried multiple options for video output with no change in behaviour.
Again, the videos display fine but only if I separate the video window from
the interface window.  Resizing the video window works fine. Also, videos
displayed inside the browser (ie Plex and YouTube) work fine.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56