[GTALUG] DRAM Issues

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Sun Jan 17 13:46:00 EST 2021

Hi All, I think I have fixed a longstanding problem in a desktop by
lowering the DDR3 ram speed from 1333 to 1066 Mhz.

The question I'm asking here is whether lowering the speed is the only
way to go, or if there are alternatives such as playing with RAS/CAS
timings?.
Has anyone ever experienced a situation such as this?

The desktop is old, running a quad core i5 at 3.1 Ghz.  It started
exhibiting an increase segfaults, page faults, dual linked list errors,
and just plain crashes in the last year.

I was able to correlate the failures to memory intensive processes, the
worst of which turned out to be running chrome in headless mode. (For
the longest time I thought it was just chrome).

Also, moving the video driver from nouveau back to nvidia_drm made a big
difference.

Thanks

--
Michael Galea