[GTALUG] Linus blaming Intel for lack of ECC in consumer systems

David Collier-Brown davecb.42 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 07:58:40 EST 2021

On 2021-01-16 10:33 p.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:

> This is something I quite agree with.  I gave up complaining about 20
> years ago but would welcome a change:
>
> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/01/linus-torvalds-blames-intel-for-lack-of-ecc-ram-in-consumer-pcs/>
> <https://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=198497&curpostid=198647>
> ---

Letting a cost accountant into the building is often a business risk (;-))

A disgusted tech support person said "Whenever our app fails, we run a
checksum of it, and usually end up telling the customer to delete it and
reinstall".

I remember when ZFS shipped, and customers were discovering bit-rot
because it checksummed /everything/.

--dave