[GTALUG] revisiting, dsl modem ideas for bell?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jan 16 19:32:20 EST 2021

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 06:36:46PM -0500, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> Is this a bell supported device?

Well it was used with teksavvy on a bell line in the past.

> I appreciate the offer, but since damaging my land line phone is a risk  I
> cannot physically take, my first goal is to find an exact 2wire unit.
> I have no need for vdsl as stated.
> I have an absolute need to find something that  lets me use my land line
> equipment safely, I use it for work, and lets my bell setup function at the
> same time.  Given both home hug units malfunction, I would prefer not to
> guess, especially with a device requiring software that itself may not be
> accessible.
> I have never needed to separate rooter and wifi functions, so believe the
> answer to your question is no.
> What was amazing about the 2 wire unit is that without its own software, i
> could  use my machines, while individuals involved with production using
> wireless could connect as well, no mess or mayhem.
>  Profound thanks for the offer however!

OK so you were using the wifi and router ability of it.  Well the dlink
only does the router part, so that wouldn't be that helpful then.

> If teksavy is still not providing alternative billing, someone should report
> them to the crtc, its  a violation .

Well I don't know if they offer other options, I just know what I get
from them, which is a PDF invoice each month.

Well a search shows someone in Toronto on kijiji offering a 2wire 2701 for $10.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-networking/city-of-toronto/dsl-modem-router-2wire/1544190324

--
Len Sorensen