[GTALUG] revisiting, dsl modem ideas for bell?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Jan 14 18:39:31 EST 2021

Alvin,
Revisiting this issue with questions / comments in context.

I am assuming that your phone is powered and not an old style
passive line
powered phone.
This assumption is incorrect, my land line phone does not require
electricity to run.

If you can try turning off the Bell WIFI and see if that affects
your
clicking.

When the bell modem is turned off, as in the power chord is
disconnected, all clicking stops.  It is only when the modem is
plugged in, and only this  particular  series of modem that
causes the problem.

Likely Speedstream.
Bell provided Speedstream modems at one point but that was years
ago and I have a hand full of them left from my ISP days.
Alvin,  would you  be willing to provide the models of the
speedstream units you have?  It is possible that I can get bell's
accessibility department to buy your unit from you to address
this issue.
My land line phone, now a brand new one since a prior bell
technician insisted my land line phone was the problem, is an
adaptive technology device I use for which there is almost no
other alternative.  Every bell tech who has visited points out
that they are stumped as to why the new modems, there are only
two prospects, a 1000 and 3000 from the same  maker, creates
noise on my line.  they have done everything both outside and
inside without  success.  bell has not kept modem technology up
to date that is inclusive, even while having an accessibility
department.   At the moment, buying yours may be the only real
prospect we have,  since  I cannot physically use another land
line phone.

There are a hand full of alternate modem suppliers you can use
but most
times it is just cheaper to take the ISP provided one.

I respect that, We may need to seek an alternative provider
modem.  If that happens, bell will be covering the costs, since
this is an accommodation.

I think Bell may still force you to pay forĀ  their modems as
part of their install service but in the past I just put the
equipment on a shelf for return when I terminated the service.

Alvin, that at least gives me a bit of hope that those modems are
still in good working order.  While in theory I would have been
charged for the modems, the cost was credited through bell
accessibility.

Providers like TekSavvy can provide landlines and internet
usually at a price less than Bells.

Techsavvy does not provide billing in alternative formats  In fact
when I left them, they were my ISP at some point, it was because
I was over charged, but could not prove it since they refused to
give me a bill in the alternative format I required.

Most cannot provide satellite service but do offer TV over their
internet
service.

I respect this may be an option for some, but speaking
personally, it is out of the question for me based  on how my
experiences manifest.
I lack the operating system, adaptive technology, equipment or
platform for  over the Internet television, that includes that
provided by bell.
Additionally, I lose access to the described video programming,
audio description, which currently I get via bell's satellites
service.  bell makes this available and functional without the
need for set top boxes themselves to be accessible.  which is a
terrific thing since no major service provider  has fully
accessible  equipment for those experiencing a variety of
disabilities.
Prior to moving into my current apartment, I was a rogers cable
customer.  I spent  almost my last year getting free service
because of the  several failures on their part, from lack of
inclusive equipment to technicians who freaked at the sight of a
person with a disability, to a few who took advantage by damaging
my own home equipment, and  other staff who could not correctly
guide techs through the process of turning on audio description.
Part of my professional life requires me to have access to a
variety of news sources, some of which only exists over the air
for me.  I still smile when recalling the Rogers staffer who
asked why I needed cable at all if I could not see the
screen...not kidding.
So, its bell satellites for me, and bell landline for me because as
of yet, providing inclusive alternatives, and supporting those
alternatives with accessible format billing is not  a reality,
CRTC standards making it a mandate since 2009 not withstanding.
Therefore Alvin, if you still have any of that speedstream
equipment,  and are willing to sell it, I may be a buyer for you.
Best,
Karen