[GTALUG] Rust Frontend Funding in GCC News

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jan 13 14:10:12 EST 2021

| From: Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

|   This site fails to load
| in FF on Linux - but works fine in FF, Chrome and Safari on Mac.  It
| also works in Chromium on Linux.

Wow.

| It doesn't appear to be a TLS version issue as I first guessed ... if
| only I'd read the "error code" I would have known better, but TLS
| version issues are commonest.  Sorry, I guess I don't have much to
| add, but site encryption issues like this always interest me as I
| spent a fair bit of time learning about site encryption ... and this
| is still beyond me.

I don't spend any time trying to understand TLS.

- I was under the impression TLS expects that the cipher suite will
  be negotiated (totally? partially?).  If so, is there a tool that
  lets one observe this negotiation?

- my most frequent problem is with expired certificates.  When this
  happens, Firefox lets you accept the cert anyway, if you ask it to.

- the error message I got offered no useful alternatives and it didn't
  say what HASH algorithm it didn't support.

- is there a commonly used TLS hash which requires licensing?

- I can wget the web page and then look at it with Firefox on Linux.