[GTALUG] Rust Frontend Funding in GCC News

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 12:31:49 EST 2021

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 11:01, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: D. Joe via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>

> | thanks for the link. typo in the URL, though. this seems to be it:
> |
> | https://opensrcsec.com/open_source_security_announces_rust_gcc_funding
>
> I noticed they type and tried that, but my firefox disliked that site:
>
>         Secure Connection Failed
>
>         An error occurred during a connection to opensrcsec.com. Unsupported
>         hash algorithm used by TLS peer.
>
>         Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_HASH_ALGORITHM
>
>             The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
>         authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
>             Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

There's always a certain amount of comedy in security-related sites
that get blocked based on security problems.  This site fails to load
in FF on Linux - but works fine in FF, Chrome and Safari on Mac.  It
also works in Chromium on Linux.

It doesn't appear to be a TLS version issue as I first guessed ... if
only I'd read the "error code" I would have known better, but TLS
version issues are commonest.  Sorry, I guess I don't have much to
add, but site encryption issues like this always interest me as I
spent a fair bit of time learning about site encryption ... and this
is still beyond me.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/