[GTALUG] decent cheap ChromeOS tablet -- can run debian in a container

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Dec 31 17:46:40 EST 2021

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-chromebook-10e-tablet-129-less-rakuten-2501804/

This is $129 tablet seems to be aimed at kids in schools.  It's not
particularly powerful, but it has a nice screen (1920x1200, 400nit),
battery, and a solid build.

This version of ChromeOS invites you to create a container with debian in
it.  The debian is from the debian repos: not customized.

I've done so.  I can run xterm, but it is awkward without a keyboard and
mouse.  I've loaded gnome desktop but I'm not sure how to start it.  I
wanted to use gnome's on-screen keyboard.

Seems like a fun toy for this price.  The weakest point is that it has
only 32G of eMMC (disk) and no slot for an SD card.

It has only one USB port and that is used for power.  I was able to use a
USB-C hub with "power delivery" to add more peripherals.

The sale might end at any time.  Perhaps the end of the day or the end of
the weekend.