[GTALUG] Docker, NodeJS and complexity

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 22 21:40:49 EDT 2021

On 22/04/2021 09:55, William Witteman via talk wrote:
> I have some existing projects to contribute to that use NodeJS and
> Docker, and I am finding that getting set up to work on them is
> extremely daunting.
>
> I have never really used Docker.  I have never really used NodeJS/npm/etc.
>
> I do know Javascript, but I don't build projects like this - it reminds
> me of Ruby-on-Rails, which I found to be a huge snarl of complexity.
>
> I know that the initial development was done on Macs, but in theory at
> least, I should be able to set up the Docker container and use that to
> get me into an equivalent development environment, but I don't really
> know how.
>
> Does anyone have a Debian-flavoured tutorial for setting up
> Docker/NodeJS so that I can build and run someone else's code?

A colleague of mine at DigitalOcean wrote this tutorial (as part of a
larger series on running containerized Node applications on Kubernetes):

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-build-a-node-js-application-with-docker

While it is Ubuntu 18.04 focused, the principles are the same.

To get Node & Docker working on Debian, these ought to help:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-node-js-on-debian-10

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-use-docker-on-debian-10

Feel free to ask any follow ups here if you follow along with those, or
email me directly if you run into any issues.

Cheers, Jamon