[GTALUG] Google wins over Oracle in Java API copyright suit

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 9 14:45:38 EDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 11:07:35AM -0700, Dhaval Giani via talk wrote:
> Ha, and many programmers I know these days want the computer to get
> out of the way, and functional programming gives them a way to do
> that.
>
> I think there are "niches" for both styles, and as pointed out
> elsewhere, it does take a paradigm shift to do proper functional
> programming. I could never achieve that, though I know folks who did,
> and their code was quite elegant (in functional paradigm). Did make me
> jealous at times when I had to write lots of procedural code. But,
> hey, at least I knew exactly what happened and why and how (well, OK
> most of the time) and functional programming was all magic to me.

https://fsharp.org/testimonials/ has some interesting stories.  Seems F#
is very useful for implementing data analysis and making the code fast
due to the automatic parallelization it can do and the code looks more
like the data model than C# code would.  And the code tends to be a lot
shorter too.  F# is based on ML syntax but of course with the ability
to easily interact with C# code.

--
Len Sorensen