[GTALUG] Google wins over Oracle in Java API copyright suit

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 14:07:35 EDT 2021

> Call me old-fashioned, but I want my computers to do what I tell them. I
> don't want exceptions, I want results or error messages to explain why.
> I know there are many processes running that do things I'll never
> understand, but they must prove themselves useful to me or get out of my
> way.

Ha, and many programmers I know these days want the computer to get
out of the way, and functional programming gives them a way to do
that.

I think there are "niches" for both styles, and as pointed out
elsewhere, it does take a paradigm shift to do proper functional
programming. I could never achieve that, though I know folks who did,
and their code was quite elegant (in functional paradigm). Did make me
jealous at times when I had to write lots of procedural code. But,
hey, at least I knew exactly what happened and why and how (well, OK
most of the time) and functional programming was all magic to me.

Dhaval