[GTALUG] Surveillance Capitalism [was another thread]

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Fri Apr 2 23:07:28 EDT 2021

folks,
Keeping with the in context  process.

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021, Dhaval Giani via talk wrote:

>>> Again, I say this again. RMS as a contributor, yes. RMS as a leader, no.
>>>
>>> I am not going to step into your Godwin's law discussion
>>> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law ). It is irrelevant to
>>> the issue at hand.
>>

>> That wasn't my discussion. I'm talking about Surveillance capitalism, which grows
>> more important to me day by day. I just think there is a lot of shooting the messenger
>> with RMS.
>>

> Then this thread should prove to you exactly why RMS cannot be your
> messenger. You could be 100% factual, but it is what the other side
> receives is of greater importance. Your cause is lost, when your
> messenger causes your message to be lost.

This is absolutely correct.
I  had no idea who rms was until the current discussion.
Within ten minutes I came across an open letter demanding that the free
software foundation's entire board step down and that rms be removed.
This letter linked to gathered details about rms, not hearsay, but direct
posts with links from his own website, where he suggests that a women get
an abortion should she learn her child will have downs syndrome.
And that  laws against under age sex  are wrong if the child is willing.
Certainly, there were comments about the ways associates have enabled rms,
working around his stance and behavior.  but that paled  when his own
words called into question why I, as an outsider to he subject, should
give any  weight to his opinion...about anything.
I will take your word that he is a talented coder, contributing much to
the free software movement.
Such does not make him a suitable leader, if  one cannot stop wondering
how he can make such statements about  human beings, and their right to be
born.
Just my take,
Karen