[GTALUG] Right to Repair Article in NYT

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 30 10:09:09 EDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 04:19:53PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Male cattle are bulls (or steers, if castrated).
> Female cattle are cows (or heifers, if young).
>
> OT: "mankind" includes females.  "Cows" is often used in a way that
> includes males.

Well most of the time when people see "cows" they are in fact cows.
You don't see too many bulls around.  They can be a bit bull headed and
kinda annoying after all.  So I guess people using cows generically are
usually correct by accident.

> Chickens are another interesting case.  Female chickens are chickens.
> Males are roosters (or capons).  I will leave the application to excrement
> as a exercise for the reader.

An adult female chicken is a hen.  An adult male chicken is a rooster.
The species is chickens.

--
Len Sorensen