[GTALUG] Group knowledge base

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Thu Oct 29 22:38:36 EDT 2020

On Thu, 2020/10/29 10:17:23PM -0400, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
| How do you or your company maintain group "knowledge base"?  I guess,
| wiki for internal stuffs.

We use a wiki for internal stuffs.  Have done so across multiple companies
for quite a while.

I would go mad trying to maintain documentation in word/excel.
How do you search across all your files?  Across platforms?

At my current place, we use dokuwiki, which I find to be a nice
combination of features, without a lot of overhead (PHP, files).
I even script some reports that insert pages into the wiki nightly.

Previously I've used xwiki (java) which was nice, but as it's java,
there's a running (sleeping) process all the time.

People who wish to spend money (from small to large) like confluence.
Confluence is very nice, but it helps if you're already hooked into
the Atlassian ecosystem.

There are a bunch of alternatives of course, but those are ones
that I've found to be good alternatives when I've been looking.

Hope that helps, but seriously, set up a wiki.

Cheers

John