[GTALUG] dsl modem ideas for bell?

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Fri Oct 9 18:20:07 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-09 10:00 a.m., Scott Allen via talk wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 09:35, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> When I got VDSL2 installed, they put a splitter where it entered the
>> house and ran one wire to the modem and the rest of the phone jacks in
>> the house to the filtered side.
>
> The same for my mother's house, when recently upgraded from 6/1 to
> 15/10 speeds. (Although, I ran the separate wire for the modem myself
> in anticipation of the upgrade.)

In my upgrade to VDSL2 at 15/10, Bell supplied an integrated splitter
with an internal filter (marked "Comtest networks VDSL/2+"). I had
terrible line quality and complained to teksavvy. Teksavvy got Bell
involved who, promptly:
- discovered I was missing "termination impedance's" at the DSLAM (red
herring),
- decided my cable was old, and replaced it (nope),
- left my home one time without connecting my phone line to anything
(after telling me he had fixed the problem and tested it!),
- had 3 different Bell techs and two teksavvy techs at different times,
- played games at the DSLAM adjusting my service profile.

The last Bell guy was a pro and followed my DSL down the street to a
broken overhead pod, where my cable was exposed to the elements! He
fixed that and VDSL has been rock solid ever since.

--
Michael Galea