[GTALUG] dsl modem ideas for bell?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Oct 9 07:41:10 EDT 2020

On 10/8/20 10:38 PM, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Hope you all are finding ways to feel creative.
> Wondering if anyone might have a suggestion providing a solution.
I am assuming that your phone is powered and not an old style passive
line powered phone.
If that is the case then it is possible that your getting interference
from something other than the physical line.

If you can try turning off the Bell WIFI and see if that affects your
clicking.

For my own case I never use a ISP provided modem in anything other than
bridge mode and use my own equipment that I control for routing and
firewalling.

> Bell is my dsl provider, they also provide my land line and satellites
> service as well, but  that is not the issue really.
> Because I still use analog phone service, its tied to some of my
> adaptive technology, my dsl modem / rooter combination provided by
> Bell is a tw or two wire model...or at least it was until this weekend.
> Honestly I am not a major user of data, but I do often need to connect
> more than one Ethernet setup, and require that someone using wireless
> be able to do this with little fanfare.
> Largely because none of bell's software works for my setup.
> anyway, the problem is that bell has replaced my beloved modem with
> one that  causes my landline to click, as in makes a constant clicking
> noise whenever the modem is connected, which is all the time.
> What I am seeking is hopefully an older, but still to be found
> prospect, with  several Ethernet ports the ability to connect
> wirelessly, yet being a tw model.
> My old one had stream in the title if that rings a..bell.

Likely Speedstream.
Bell provided Speedstream modems at one point but that was years ago and
I have a hand full of them left from my ISP days.
There are a hand full of alternate modem suppliers you can use but most
times it is just cheaper to take the ISP provided one.
Some can be purchased through places like CanadaComputers.

> I have literary had 5 technicians here since Saturday, with three of
> them messing  up my Internet on top of not addressing the issue.
> Any bell modem ideas come to mind?
> why on earth by the way, must I only use bell equipment in the first
> place?
There is no obligation for you to use bell equipment.
Bell cannot fix someone else's equipment so if you want a single point
of repair then you may want to stick with Bell.
I think Bell may still force you to pay for  their modems as part of
their install service but in the past I just put the equipment on a
shelf for return when I terminated the service.

Providers like TekSavvy can provide landlines and internet usually at a
price less than Bells.
Most cannot provide satellite service but do offer TV over their
internet service.

> Kare the ranter.

> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||