[GTALUG] scanner on hp LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 05:58:56 EDT 2020

Do you get an actual xsane window saying the device was not found, or some
other xsane report on the issue? The reports are sometimes very cryptic.

This has been a fairly common mode switching issue where the device is set
by default for printing for a multifunctional print/scan device. In my case
for my brother printer/scanner I would place a rule in the UDEV rules.d
folder which makes the mode switch to scanner for me when the application
requests control of the device.

However a quick look on the internet for HP shows that there may have been
an HP software install configuration glitch even as recently as June 2020
for some,

This mint user seems to have solved it for an earlier HP MFP device by
doing a complete software reinstall.

HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26a - Could Scan, Can't Now (SOLVED)
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=261065

This is from that link but there are several links to hp and other sites to
help with troubleshooting; rc files are resource configurations for Linux.
------
sudo apt-get --reinstall install hplip

Apparently, (code: rc) wasn't installed properly - I have no idea what this
means and don't recall seeing it in the printout from the many commands
I've input over the past few days. I also don't recall it being mentioned
in any of the HP Help instructions.
------

HTH
Russell