[GTALUG] security threats of Open Source

David Thornton northdot9 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 15:13:01 EST 2020

Fair points,

All of the service contracts I've worked behind say effectively: If we
can't keep it from happening, then we can't be held responsible for it
happening.

You paid for a managed linux server, linux has a bug and you crash, we are
not responsible. We'll patch when it comes out, we'll add a firewall rule
to mitigate. But we could not have kept it from happening.

It's pretty weak I know, but one thing I have learned is that there is a
lot of conscious and unconscious, communicated and uncommunicated
acceptance of risk in many industries.

I advocate for professional , responsible, management and communication of
risk in my day to day activities.

I feel like I've done my best work when I can talk to clients directly and
honestly about risk, and how we can manage it.

I can do what I can, but I can't worry about  or fret about stuff I can't
do anything about.

(Which is , I think, basically what you are saying above )

I can do a lot of reasonable things to protect against uncontrolled aspects
of operation.

We had only one hard drive and it failed, so we went to a pair of mirrored
disks.

We had only one web server and it failed so we went to a cluster of 2 to a
bagilion web servers.

We used open source software and it was a hot mess so we .....um hullo?
anyone else?

.... Canonical, Microsoft, Redhat, Oracle, Amazon, Google , what have you..

They can do mitigation and management in ways I can't.

I lived and breathed Redhat for along time, and we sold linux under "Redhat
is good, redhat can make it go"

They added safety and consistency. I mean it wasn't / isn't perfect, but it
worked. It got a lot of stuff done in a short amount of time for us.

Risk management never gets old, it is as old as the first profession (
Prostitution: "Will my primary mate catch me." ) ( Which of course led to
the second oldest professions : Lawyers )

P.S. I decided to give email another go, for old-time sake, that's why I
revived thethread I guess: I read my mail :)

David

--
David Thornton
https://wiki.quadratic.net