[GTALUG] Scientific Libraries in Python for Drawing Physics Equations

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 16:33:18 EST 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 22:21, Nicholas Krause via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On 11/2/20 6:56 PM, Jamon Camisso via talk wrote:
> > On 2020-11-02 18:07, Nicholas Krause via talk wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >> I'm wondering if anyone has used this before:
> >> http://qutip.org/tutorials.html. If someone has a recommendation or has
> >> used something
> >> similar for drawing out the graphs for Schrodinger wave functions or
> >> Quantum Field Theory that would be helpful. I'm drawing to draw them
> >> out on a computer with a library as drawing them by hand is also
> >> impossible for large scales of values and will be easier for field theory.
> >>
> >> This is for the future but it would be nice to hear if anyone has any
> >> experience with drawing out quantum physics equations from a programming
> >> library,
> >
> > I have zero experience or knowledge about it, but here's a reasonable
> > looking project that uses Seaborn (https://seaborn.pydata.org/) to
> > visualize wave functions:
> >
> > https://github.com/nnguyen19/helium_project
> >
> > The code is in here:
> > https://github.com/nnguyen19/helium_project/blob/master/Tung-Nhan%20Nguyen%20-%20Helium%20by%20wavefunction.py
> >
> > Seaborn is a very nice wrapper around matplotlib. From a cursory glance,
> > it looks like qutip is also a wrapper around pandas & matplotlib so the
> > two might be useful in combination with each other.
> >
> > Cheers, Jamon
>
> Jamon,
> Thanks I will look into that. The bigger problem isn't wave functions so
> much as quantum field theory. I'm not sure how many people about it.
> Basically its a merger of special relativity with quantum mechanics
> using fields. Not sure if its better to graph that out using a physics
> engine or just the above. If people need more information on that this
> may help:
> https://www.ribbonfarm.com/2015/08/20/qft/
> And for anyone who is asking General Relativity has issues with Bell's
> Theorem in quantum mechanics alongside other things I'm not aware
> of so its not part of the standard model. Off topic but the standard
> paper on that is this:
> https://cds.cern.ch/record/111654/files/vol1p195-200_001.pdf
> and it was proven in various labs in the 1960s if I recall my years
> correctly.
>
> Sorry for the weird question and this is my bigger concern if I
> was unclear before through thanks again James,

I have some (not much) experience with matplotlib, and have been
impressed by it.  I suspect that by itself matplotlib would be
inadequate to your task - I encountered Quantum Mechanics in
university and hated it, but that was ... decades ago, so I'm not
claiming to understand.  But it sounds like there are wrappers, and if
they're based on matplotlib I think they chose a good starting point.
Hope this helps, if only a little.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/