[GTALUG] Scientific Libraries in Python for Drawing Physics Equations

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Nov 3 10:57:36 EST 2020

| From: Nicholas Krause via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I'm wondering if anyone has used this before: http://qutip.org/tutorials.html.
| If someone has a recommendation or has used something
| similar for drawing out the graphs for Schrodinger wave functions or
| Quantum Field Theory that would be helpful. I'm drawing to draw them
| out on a computer with a library as drawing them by hand is also impossible
| for large scales of values and will be easier for field theory.

No harm in asking, but this isn't the best group to ask.  Try talking
to people in the applications area.

I first saw a program to graph the Schrodinger Wave Equation as an
example for the PDP-8 FOCAL language in 1967 or 1968.  Graphing on a
teletype!

Nobody would draw this stuff by hand now.  Sketch, maybe.  I don't
even know how useful graphs of this thing are.  Visualization would
be more useful (i.e. a live multi-dimensional graph that you can
manipulate and explore). But there must be
tonnes of software you could use, without even programming.

Lots of projects have contributions from physicists.

Mathmatica: Wolfram started this quest as a post-doc (or something
like it) in the High Energy Physics Department at Cal Tech.
Mathmatica is expensive, but free on a Rasperry Pi.

Jupyter and Julia (both open source projects) surely have lots of physics
contributors.

| This is for the future but it would be nice to hear if anyone has any
| experience with drawing out quantum physics equations from a programming
| library,

It all depends why you are doing it.