[GTALUG] Continuing Printer Woes

Dave Collier-Brown dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com
Sun May 31 19:12:33 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-31 6:23 p.m., Peter King via talk wrote:

Eric S. Raymond was right about CUPS some fourteen years ago, in his essay
"The Luxury of Ignorance" (http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html),
and things really haven't gotten any better.  Here's an update since I last
posted about six weeks ago.

I had an HP LaserJet 1100a, which worked reasonably well until its internal
memory went bad.  These things happen.  So I got a more recent HP Pro 1102w
which is no end of trouble;

Ah yes, the "modem testing problem" redux.
I've had good luck with an HP "Color LaserJetPro MFP M177fw", but I don't enjoy a system where you buy a printer and only then find out if you have to return it or not.

--dave

 I could print to it a bit, irregularly, but now
not at all -- everything seems to be configured properly but CUPS reports
"Waiting for printer to become available" and nothing I do, from writing
udev rules to rebooting, makes it available.  So I bought another printer, a
Lexmark MS415dn, in part for its three-penguin rating [ = "works perfectly
with Linux"] on openprinting.org, but it does not work perfectly, spitting
out endless pages of gibberish when I sent it PDFs or PostScript files, to
the point where it prints only once out of every two or three attempts.  I
won't go through all the details of what I've tried, but I have tried, and
tried, and tried.

More or less at my wit's end -- actually, I can see my wit's end receding
in the distance in the rear-view mirror -- and proving that I cannot learn
from experience, I'm considering buying something that should just work,
that is, of getting a monochrome single-function laser printer with embedded
PostScript to handle my needs, which, you'd think, would be a sufficiently
humble set of requirements.  You'd think.  If anyone on this list can recommend
such a beast, which can run reliably under Linux (specifically arch linux), I
would be almost shamefully greatful.  Nearly as good would be cautions about
what to avoid.  Thanks.

---
Post to this mailing list talk at gtalug.org<mailto:talk at gtalug.org>

dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com<mailto:dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com> |              -- Mark Twain

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER : This telecommunication, including any and all attachments, contains confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and delete the message from your inbox and deleted items folders. This telecommunication does not constitute an express or implied agreement to conduct transactions by electronic means, nor does it constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment or an acceptance of a contract offer. Contract terms contained in this telecommunication are subject to legal review and the completion of formal documentation and are not binding until same is confirmed in writing and has been signed by an authorized signatory.