[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 4 with 8G of RAM

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu May 28 12:03:07 EDT 2020

I just got an ad from Seeed Studio.  It offers an 8G Raspberry Pi 4 for
pre-order.  I didn't know of this new RAM size before seeing the ad.
Estimated availability date is June 5.

<https://www.seeedstudio.com/Raspberry-Pi-4-Computer-Model-B-8GB-p-4595.html>

US$75 for a computer with 8G seems quite reasonable.

Being greedy, the only Pi 4's I've purchased have been 4G units.  I
will probably only buy 8G units in the future.  I admit that 2G is
enough for many purposes.

8G certainly makes a 64-bit OS more desireable.  I think that Raspbian
is still only 32 bits (so that all Pi's are still supported by one
image, I think).

Seeed is an interesting "maker" sort of vendor.  I have ordered a couple
of Pi 4's from them in the past.  I consider them reputable.  Slowish
delivery (from China).  They do have a warehouse in the US too.

See also
<https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/28/raspberry-pi-foundation-announces-raspberry-pi-4-with-8gb-of-ram/>
This says that the Foundation has started working on 64-bit Raspbian.
64-bit Ubuntu and other distros are already available now.