[GTALUG] Automatic .local and .lan hostnames

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Wed May 27 12:47:39 EDT 2020

On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 11:31, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2020-05-27 11:29 AM, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> > So now I'm really interested in how these names are made available.  I
> > don't care which of the two names it provides, but I'd really, really
> > like it to do it consistently.  Can someone point me in the right
> > direction, and I'll go do my homework.  Thanks.
>
> Probablly mDNS.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS

Thanks, that's a perfect point of entry.  It sent me to Avahi, a name
I've been aware of for years but never previously investigated.  And
from there I discovered that 'systemctl status avahi.daemon' on the Pi
shows that the service died about a day and a half ago.  So I have my
work cut out for me trying to figure out why it died.  Is a restart
sufficient, or will it happen again?  Etc.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com