[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Wed May 27 19:33:35 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-27 06:50 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:

>     I had the same problem, except I got CFRB instead of CHUM.  I lived
>     roughly the same distance from both.  I would have preferred CHUM. ;-)
>

> Same basic tech but different experiential outcomes based on
> topography. I got my set by sending in cereal boxtops. A couple of
> years later a classmate of mine had a kit where the tuner actually
> worked for multiple stations. But his dad was an electrical engineer
> and helped him out with his kit, the parts for which, were definitely
> not from R. J. Kellogg's Battle Creek loyalty rewards centre like mine
> and maybe yours was.

No, my grandfather gave me a kit (I think it was called Erectronic)
which was 15 different projects, the first of which was a crystal set.
He originally gave it to an uncle, who showed little interest in it.
The projects were assembled on a peg board, over which paper templates
were laid and the various parts, mounted on plastic platforms, plugged
into the holes and were connected with jumpers. The kit came with a 1U4
vacuum tube, IIRC and used a 1/2 volt and a 90V batteries.  It could
also be used to build a morse code transmitter and a voice transmitter,
both of which interfered with local AM radios. ;-)

I would have been around 10 or 11 when he gave me that kit.