[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 12:39:20 EDT 2020

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:51 AM Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:41:15AM -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:
> > Sorry that was just a reference to the fact that FDDI is deployed in the
> > past. You'd have to figure that if the effort was made to use a dedicated
> > fiber network in a complex, business or government, they'd still be using
> > it wouldn't they?
>
> FDDI was 100 Mbit, so at this point having ripped it out and replaced
> it with gigabit or faster ethernet is quite likely.
>
> > The reference also said it's losing ground, but as with all things tech,
> > optical connections are becoming commonplace in IoT and old stuff becomes
> > new again.
> >
> > The paranoid me wonders if my computer speakers are a microphone also.
> :-0
>
> They can be used that way in some cases.  And many modern audio chips
> have pin routing configuration so you could remap the speaker jack as
> a microphone jack.  Probably wouldn't work well, but I would not say it
> couldn't be done.

Actually a couple of years ago I bought the ASUS PRIME-A mb you
recommended, not necessarily because of M.2 NVME but also because the
external audio connections have impedance sensing; each audio channel is on
its own tracing on the MB and the speakers had an optical connection.

I also had a weird experience when I used a line adapter to plug a guitar
into the line in and play out the speakers. After I defined the loopback
device for pulse audio I'm not sure what it was but, when I adjusted the
potentiometers on the guitar for base, treble and volume, I seemed to be
able to tune in an audio broadcast channel and got that signal out the
speakers. I know it was a broadcast, I heard it clearly, it was a one sided
conversation, but in a language I don't know.

So my thought was to get an audio breakout to usb via the Thunderspy port,
but that would defeat the purpose of using the Realtek codec features of
the board. What I really need is a good quality junction between the guitar
phono I/O and the computers stereo line-in.

It's a simple mono to stereo 1/4 - 1/8 in hardware adapter, which doesn't
seem to exist. At least as a direct connection. You can plug an adapter
into the guitar that will take the line input but the friction fit is very
poor and crackles, although it seemed to make for a pretty good antenna at
the time.

--

--
Russell