[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed May 27 11:51:46 EDT 2020

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:41:15AM -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:
> Sorry that was just a reference to the fact that FDDI is deployed in the
> past. You'd have to figure that if the effort was made to use a dedicated
> fiber network in a complex, business or government, they'd still be using
> it wouldn't they?

FDDI was 100 Mbit, so at this point having ripped it out and replaced
it with gigabit or faster ethernet is quite likely.

> The reference also said it's losing ground, but as with all things tech,
> optical connections are becoming commonplace in IoT and old stuff becomes
> new again.
>
> The paranoid me wonders if my computer speakers are a microphone also. :-0

They can be used that way in some cases.  And many modern audio chips
have pin routing configuration so you could remap the speaker jack as
a microphone jack.  Probably wouldn't work well, but I would not say it
couldn't be done.

--
Len Sorensen