[GTALUG] (off topic) What power bank should I avoid?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue May 19 07:58:08 EDT 2020

On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 21:28, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> My LG Nexus 5X died, and I'm temporarily using an old Samsung Galaxy S3
> with poor battery.  I may need to use a power bank, until I get a new
> phone.
>
> Which power bank do you recommend (or not recommend)?

I've had two power banks over the years - I lost track of one, bought
a new one, found the old one, now I have two.  Different makers, one
is 10,000 mAh, the other is 11,400 mAh.  They're old enough that even
if I told you the make and model, they probably don't exist any more
... but they both still work well - partly because I've only used them
lightly.

So I have very limited experience with power banks.  But I'd suggest
that despite the added weight and cost, the larger ones (10000 mAh and
up) are the way to go.  They'll always get you through a day, while
one of the puny ones (2500 mAh) will die after 3/4 charging your
phone, and won't even do that as the battery ages and weakens.
Something else to consider is that a charge indicator on the device is
very useful.

(Not an expert.  Just full of opinions.)

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com