[GTALUG] Linux servers attacked!

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:14:00 EDT 2020

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 11:01, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2020-05-10 10:05 AM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> > Blackberry == QNX these days
>
> Didn't they move to Android a few years back, at least for some models?

Yep.  In 2016, they contracted out building of phones to TCL.
https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/28/13088362/blackberry-stop-making-phones

(I always somewhat double-take when I see anything branded TCL, for the
obvious reason!)

The deal with TCL ends this August, so it's not evident that they'll have
any hardware
offerings anymore.

The Playbook was interesting in this regard; the kernel was QNX, but it had
an Android
layer, and that would have been an interesting take on "doing Android" in
the marketplace;
I don't think that strategy made it to any of the phone offerings.

I'm wrong on that, it turns out; "Blackberry 10" was indeed QNX
underneath...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_10
There were around a dozen phones released (some not actually released) on
"Blackberry 10" between 2013 and 2015, and later editions did indeed have
an
Android "runtime" to allow running some Android apps.  So I suppose we could
say it's both a dessert wax, and a floor topping ;-)