[GTALUG] Problem new virtual host

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat May 2 10:36:27 EDT 2020

| From: ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Fri, 1 May 2020 11:33:53 -0400 (EDT)
| "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
| > I'm a bit confused.  But I'm probably not the only one.
| > Note: I've never set up a virtual host so I could be way off-base.
| >
| this entire thread is confusing. it was about something unclear to
| start with
| and now it is simply just becoming noise.

Sorry, Stephen asked for help.  Something was confused or it all would
have worked for him.

I was trying to help reduce that confusion.

Why do you consider this noise?

| i mean could the op not configure apache properly? did the op not
| register a domain name? is the op's /etc/hosts file being ignored due
| to "browser" control of dns?

Ask him.  Not me.  I'm trying to ask questions to clarify.

| > By default, I've heard that Firefox has switched to using DNS over
| > HTTPS.  If your browsers have done so, they might well be ignoring
| > /etc/hosts.
| >
| this is interesting... imnsho, life is all about balance.

Not in this case.  It's about how his resolvers are working or not
working or not working as he expects.

| > | Entering my local IP in a browser gets me to Gerbera's control
| > panel.
| >
| > Now we know that you're running Gerbera on your server.
| >
| > I don't know how Apache picked Gerbera as the default.  But you
| > probably don't care anyway.  Or maybe you should change the server's
| > setup so it defaults into something innocuous.
|
| it also tells us, on a balance of probability, that the problem is
| probably not routing/port related but Apache that does not know what it
| has to serve... - so either non registered domain or /etc/hosts

So say so to him, not me.  And in a way that he's likely to understand
and even act upon.

Maybe he's already figured it out his problem but he hasn't told us.