[GTALUG] [GTALUG-Announce] GTALUG: COVID-19 Impact

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Mar 30 08:48:01 EDT 2020

On 3/30/20 6:48 AM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:50 PM Glen Strom via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> If you're considering using Zoom, you need to be aware of a growing
>> problem with it--Zoombombing.
>>
>> Troublemakers break into a session and disrupt it with porn, obscene
>> talk, and whatever else comes to their tiny, diseased minds.
>>
>> You'd have to be sure you have it all locked down.
>>
>> Here's a reference article in the New York Times.
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/style/zoombombing-zoom-trolling.html
>>
> Reading the article requires a subscription. Oh well I can likely live without.

You can read a limited number of articles per month.
But Glen's description pretty well covers the article so your not
missing much.

here are some  observations on my limited interaction with video
conferencing.

    Webex: I have had lots of luck with Webex ...  all bad. I got to the
    point where I would refuse to join a webex on anything other than a
    telephone.

    Google Hangouts: They worked reasonably well but of late I cannot
    get audio to work properly on any of my linux systems. My major
    client has moved to ring-central because of a 50 participant limit
    on Hangouts.

    Microsoft Teams Meeting: It seems to work reasonably well for small
    numbers. I have not been part of a large conference so I am not sure
    how well it scales.

Since we are an open-source(ish) community I would suggest that we try
and find an open-source solution.

It may be worth picking a couple of possible solutions and then try
running meetings with each one and rate the quality.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||