[GTALUG] Wireless Bridge - Asus RP-N12 N300 Repeater

Sergio Durigan Junior sergiodj at sergiodj.net
Wed Jun 24 20:28:37 EDT 2020

On Monday, June 15 2020, William Park via talk wrote:

> FYI...
>
> For work-from-home, I got stuffs spread over two tables in my basement.
> Most devices don't support or have wireless capability.  Problem is my
> router is upstair.  To run an ethernet cable, it has go across hallway,
> living room, through kitchen, down the stair, then across basement to
> the opposite corner.  I don't want that.
>
> So, I got
>     - ASUS RP-N12 N300 Repeater
>       https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1056_1058&item_id=087667
>       $29.88
> It's repeater, access point, and media bridge.  "Media Bridge" (ie.
> wireless bridge) is what I needed.  It has one ethernet port, and that's
> connected to switch.  So, you connect devices to the switch and it
> gets IP from the router.
>
> A coworker recommended
>     - TP-LINK (TL-WA850RE) N300 300Mbps Universal WiFi Range Extender
>     - TP-LINK (TL-WR802N) N300 Wireless N Router Nano
> but I went with Asus, instead.

I've been using powerline adapters for almost 4 years now, and I'm very
happy with them.  My router is pretty far from my office, and my current
laptop has a vampiric wifi card that requires non-free blobs to be
loaded, so I just plug a powerline close to the router, another one
where my office is, and that's it.  The connection is solid, fast and
responsive.

I use the TP-Link powerlines, btw.

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36