[GTALUG] Continuing Printer Woes

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Mon Jun 1 10:31:23 EDT 2020

On 2020-06-01 10:14 AM, Christopher Browne via talk wrote:
> At that time, interoperability with printers and Linux was very much
> fraught with troubles.  Those were the days of WinModems and
> WinPrinters where Microsoft was trying to capture market by
> making sure that lots of devices would ONLY talk to Windows(tm)

Back in those days, I was running OS/2 and knew enough to avoid those
Winmodems and printers.

BTW, I also had a FAX modem, so I faxed myself a sheet that I signed
several times.  I could then paste my signature on documents which would
then be faxed out again.  Back then I was using Faxworks and Post Road
Mailer, which worked very well together, for handling faxes & email.
For example, I could fax to email or a received fax could automagically
be emailed out.  Or a received email could be sent out via fax.  I
essentially had a fax server.  This was way back in the mid - late 90's.

There were a lot of things that could be done in OS/2 that I have not
seen elsewhere.