[GTALUG] web hosting question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:05:41 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:19 AM Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> A friend on here uses Planethoster, a Canuck company based in Montreal but
> also have servers in France. He has had good experiences so far, but you
> might need to request English once in a while. Why do you want to have a
> Canuck host provider? This severely limits your choices of host provider. I
> use A2 in Michigan.

I find currency surprises not very appealing.
As this is more than a short term decision - - - - I prefer to have some
idea of future costs. When foreign currencies get involved - - - - - that
idea goes out the window!

> I always split domain name and hosting because there was a time when host
> providers could hold your name ransom if you wanted to leave. I think most
> host providers split out their domain name part to an external
> company/different sub-company, but I don't want any surprises.
>
> That's what I'm thinking but my domain name registrar has treated me quite
well.
Turns out that they also do some shared web hosting.
Therefore my question(s).

Thanks