[GTALUG] web hosting question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:02:24 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 2020-07-29 11:05 a.m., o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> > Finding a reasonable Canadian web hosting company is proving to be more
> than
> > somewhat challenging.??
>
> What is proving challenging about finding a "reasonable" Canadian web
> hosting company? What do you mean by "reasonable"?
>
> Had the 'joy' of signing up with one shared web hosting company.
Pricing was galactically different between initial and renewal, service was
'interesting'
and they got to playing little games  - - - - - so I am not looking for
cheap but I do
want a company where the servers are in Canada (Canadian legislation is
enough of
a dog's breakfast never mind dealing with another area's as well) and where
they
actually listen to questions instead of sending you to a knowledge base
that is mostly
some 5 years out of date! (I was being told that php 5.4 (I think that was
the version - -
- - - it wasn't even the last of the 5.x series) was plenty useful when php
itself had
deprecated anything before 7.0 some 2 years before. I'm not into the latest
and greatest
as I want rock solid working but it would be like insisting on running Win
NT 3.5 and
calling it current!)
I don't expect to get a free lunch for signing up but I don't want to see
that as a returning
customer that I'm paying 4 or 5 times more than I did starting out - - - -
that's not good
long term thinking to me and tells me a lot about the company. Wasn't what
they said
when I asked about that before signup but having been burned well once - -
- - I'm
just a bit gun shy.

Regards