[GTALUG] web hosting question

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jul 29 11:22:39 EDT 2020

| From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Reading past emails it seems that using a separate provider for domain
| registration and web hosting is the suggested norm.

Just to make things more difficult, there are three separate things.

1. domain registration

2. domain hosting (by which I mean hosting your domain's DNS zone
   file).

3. hosting any services, such as web pages

So 2 is what you missed.

Often the registration service provider will host your DNS.  But if
you get into a dispute with them, you may have problems.  That's not
from experience and it might be a non-issue.