[GTALUG] (question) GPU + Data center = ?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Jul 14 07:15:09 EDT 2020

On 7/13/20 11:32 PM, Nicholas Krause via talk wrote:
> On 7/13/20 11:19 PM, William Park via talk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Perhaps off topics... I keep coming across "GPU in Data Centers", ie.
>> Nvidia.  Exactly what does GPU have ANYTHING do with data centers?  I
>> can't imagine people setting up a server in the cloud, and then using
>> that to process graphics or play games.
>>
> The short answer is similar to FPGAs or other specialized processing
> cores they are good for certain tasks. Here is a list of things that
> are libraries by Nvidia used for certain tasks related to that.
>
> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/gpu-accelerated-applications/

That's a lot of applications.

Not sure if it still exists but for a while you could setup a
cryptocurrency system in the cloud and make some money most of which you
paid to the hosting company but you had 0 risk of buying your own hardware.

But to your original question.
Yes people are renting cloud servers to build games and Amazon is going
after that market segment.
Take a look at https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/
For multi-player games it is likely a great fit.
I have not checked but I bet the other cloud providers are looking at
this market segment also.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||