[GTALUG] server question

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 14:12:40 EST 2020

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 12:16, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2020-01-22 12:05 PM, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> > I tend to use .lan for my local dns names.
>
> I have my own registered domain, so that's what I use.

Big "+1" on that...

I use a local subset of a TLD I own.  There is NO risk of some surprise
happening as a consequence of ICANN delegating a new TLD.

I seem to recall there being a problem when the new gTLDs came along where
printers (HP, most likely) started pinging at outside names because "that
would never happen" wound up happening.

It sure would be nice if ICANN or IETF were to declare a TLD or three as
being the TLD equivalent to "non-routable local private IPs" like
192.168.*.*, but this hasn't happened.