[GTALUG] server question

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Wed Jan 22 10:40:24 EST 2020

On 2020-01-22 10:26 AM, James Medeiros via talk wrote:
> I like to use DHCP settings on my router to “reserve” IP addresses -
> automatically assigning the reserved internal address of my choice to
> the MAC address of the machine I want to access in this way...

That's what I do too.  I have IP addresses mapped to MAC addresses for
all my devices on my network.  The only exceptions are my
firewall/router and my main desktop system, both of which are static
config.  Also, on IPv6, there's no need for DHCP, as one address on each
device is based on the MAC address or, in some cases, a static random
number.