[GTALUG] Rust intro

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Thu Jan 2 09:59:39 EST 2020

Rust uses a reference-counting collector for allocations that go beyond what the borrow-checker can handle. You have to explicitly use the RC allocation. Reference counting, as you may know is a more predictable memory allocation technique and works well for many data structures, such as trees (binary or otherwise). It however has problems with cyclic data structures (doubly-linked lists, general graphs, etc.). Since the reference-counted allocations are explicit, it is usually not onerous for the programmer to handle the de-allocation of these data structures. Having a built-in RC collector is a big win over C/C++ - your effective alternatives.

If you aren’t willing to deal with the reference counter, your closest choices to Rust are D, Nim, or (less close) Go. But if you look at the benchmark game site, you’ll see that garbage-collected languages are often a factor of 3 slower than Rust/C/C++. If that degree of performance matters to you, I think you should use Rust rather than C or C++. If it doesn’t, you have a plethora of choices, including Go, Java, C#, Haskell, Python, Lisp, or (my favoured) Smalltalk.

../Dave