[GTALUG] Rust intro

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 18:09:04 EST 2020

On 1/1/20 11:44 AM, David Mason wrote:
> Borrowing is entirely a compile-time analysis. There is no runtime
> impact (other than the fact that you can get away without a garbage
> collector - in a safe way).
>
> The Learn Rust the Dangerous way article is very good, by the way! I
> heartily endorse it for the C-philes among GTALUG. If you haven’t read
> it, one of the things that might convince you is that the leaderboard
> for this highly-optimized n-body simulation has Rust in the
> first-place
> https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/performance/nbody.html -
> faster than C, C++, Fortran or Ada. I’ve added it to my list of
> resources for Rust: https://cps506.scs.ryerson.ca/Resources/rust.html
Ownership makes sense its a compiler version of smart pointers. My
concerns are still:
  What about circular references in which the owner depends on data from
the child
but cannot free it due to the knowledge also depending on the parent.
Binary trees
are a problem here. Or you must assume like garbage collectors this
never occurs
and this is one way to get memory leaks in a lot of garbage collectors fast.

Rust seems fine for a lot of things but this one case does not seem
solved at least
in my knowledge or is  assumed to not be a big issue and I could be
wrong but
from my limited research it appears not,
Nick