[GTALUG] Miracast

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 13:28:35 EST 2020

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 at 12:46, Ivan Avery Frey via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Last evening we ran into problems projecting the presenter's slides onto
> the room's monitor.
>
> The Wikipedia entry on Miracast claims Google dropped support for Miracast
> with Android 6 (Marshmallow)

That's very strange.

I did my January presentation using my phone via Miracast, and I haven't
had a version upgrade lately; my
OnePlus 5 was on version 9 / Pi  throughout.  (Note that after the meeting,
someone, probably Ivan,
rebooted the monitor, at which point I suddenly *was* projecting my phone
screen to the monitor.
That wasn't an utter surprise; I was trying to do so ;-)! )

It seems as though we need some alternative handling, as we're running into
the trouble that
people are bringing laptops with newly discovered interfaces (I think this
time it was USB-C)
for which we had no adaptor available.

I'm not quite sure what the best alternative is; lurking in my head is to
pull out a ChromeCast
(that speaks HDMI, and can be plugged into a USB port), in the hopes that
we could push
slides over to this.   Supposedly works...  <
https://venturebeat.com/2015/06/11/google-slides-now-lets-you-stream-your-presentation-to-your-tv-via-chromecast-and-airplay/

Alternately, maybe a Raspberry Pi could do an apropos job, but it needs to
NOT need a lot of setup
to be "A/V-friendly."