[GTALUG] I believe Amazon is leaking delivery information.

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sun Feb 2 12:34:35 EST 2020

On 2/2/20 12:07 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 at 11:17, Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net
> <mailto:alvin at netvel.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/2/20 6:11 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
>>

>>     Reviving this thread from the dead.
>>
>>     Is it possible you have a smart doorbell. Apparently they are
>>     sending data.
>>     https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/ring-doorbell-app-packed-third-party-trackers?fbclid=IwAR2H7DrCg4zI7YdPlbFlPTv-4bpucFM8njhI69nUw455ttX66N-F0toY9Go
>>
>>     Dave
>
>     Ya. I saw that one also.
>
>     I have a dumb doorbell.
>
>     The only way it could be dumber is if was a rope attached to a bell.
>

> I'll bet ring isn't the only smart thing leaking info.
>
> Dave

I recently saw this article.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/19/opinion/location-tracking-cell-phone.html

Most of the things I knew of as isolated issues but seeing them put
together goes a long way to painting a scary picture.

The idea of giving away an SDK that feeds information back to the SDK
developers for monetizing leaves me both horrified and in admiration of
the audacity.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||