[GTALUG] Blockchain, the solution to nothing

Mauro Souza thoriumbr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 09:44:26 EDT 2020

If you have a VPS, or a co-located server, or something like that, and
unlimited bandwidth, SIA and Storj are good to pass some time. The
economics aren't on the side of the storage owners, but on the storage
renters. It's so cheap that you can rent a terabyte on both networks, and
use it for double backups. I stored maybe 200GB of data for a year, and
maybe made 10 cents. Maybe less. And as an earlier adopter, I earned some
hundreds of GB for free that I never used.

I once was toying with this idea of providing low price backup solution to
small businesses, storing data on Storj and SIA at the same time. Both
networks aren't still "production ready", so I would store on both at the
same time, and keep watching if the files are still available periodically.
You only need enough storage to store all the metadata (client id, file
name, size, the hash of it on the network, etc) on your database. So you
could store a petabyte of data while having a couple GB on your server. The
agent would upload directly to the networks and send you only the data you
need to restore the file later. It can work, storage is not the difficult
part, and the "what changed since last backup?" question is the main issue.

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.