[GTALUG] Blockchain, the solution to nothing

ac ac at main.me
Thu Aug 27 08:19:45 EDT 2020

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 07:37:45 -0400
Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Say it aint so...
> Are you telling me that your don't believe that the blockchain is the
> solution for everything from climate change to erectile dysfunction.
> But seriously.
> There are some real uses for blockchain technologies but what we are
> seeing is a repeat of the .com bubble.
> Where if you had a wacky idea and stuck the words "on the internet"
> in it somewhere and did your pitch you could get millions in funding.
> Hey. Have I told you of my plans to handle garbage disposal "on the
> blockchain"..... The ICO is next week.
> People do this kind of thing constantly.
> Take a good idea and then push it till it is an amazingly bad idea.
> As for Siacoin and Storj I found that they used 100% of my available
> internet bandwidth without using any storage.
> Luckily for me I opted for "unlimited bandwidth" but not so lucky for
> Teksavvy.
> So doing something like sharing your few free TB could cost you big
> time if you were a Bell or Rogers customer.
> I have access to large amounts of excess storage but I have yet to be
> convinced that I could even pay for the power that it takes to spin
> the drives.
> The concept is great but the economics does not seem to be there yet.

you can also interchange "blockchain" with "AI" ?

as someone who started using my own AI tech in 2010 already, it never
amazes me how many people the past year or two uses "AI" somewhere and
in something - where it is not really "AI" but either simple timers or
very basic machine learning or simple pattern identification.

so, I guess in the recent words of the most powerful brain[1] on the
planet when told about 162 086 covid-19 related deaths: "...it is what
it is..."

maybe worth 1c ?

Andre
++++++
[1] powerful brain is a brain in control a small red button, inside a
beautifully crafted leather briefcase (although the 'red' is not really
'red' but more of a vermillion)